We just celebrated Valentine's Day, flowers, chocolates, cards - or maybe just holding hands as you watched the Olympics --sometimes it doesn't have to be a major ordeal, it can be subtle things to show your significant other that you care. How does this relate to real estate? You're in a relationship with your home. It may be a great one, or it may be a love/hate kinda thing. It could be that you're in denial - ignoring the things around the homestead that need attention, or are you the one that has the best manicured lawn on the block? At the end of the day, you want to show how much you care, but possibly don't even know where to start. For a moment, consider the fact that you don't have to complete a full home remodel in order to love to your home, there are easy, simple changes to help you pledge your love, or maybe its time to call it quits- follow these 6 recommendations to show the love to your home , and let us know if you plan to love it, or list it.
FIRST THINGS FIRST: take before pictures. You'll thank me later
1. Deep clean your home. Room by room, clean everything by taking it out of its spot, cabinet or corner and clean from top to bottom, baseboards, walls, cabinets, baseboards, you get the idea. Plan this to take about a month from start to finish unless you take a week off work, then its about 5 days.
2. Update your ceiling fans. In Florida, I wouldn't have a house without them, but some styles are rather 90's. Check Houzz for the latest in trends and ideas that match the style of your home. This is a subtle change that can really change the feel of a room.
3. Landscaping. Adding mulch, decorative bushes or flowers, or just trimming back what you have can go a long way to spruce up your home. Don't underestimate the power of curb appeal Changing the numbers on your home to something that is clean, newly painted or matches the style better can go a long way.
4. Paint the front door. 2018 trends indicate some great colors... so go wild and embrace color in your life.
5. Renew floor finishes. Have hardwoods? Clean them up, maybe even refinish them if they are really worn. Have carpet? Stanley Steamer is your friend, get them professionally cleaned. Tile floors? Clean the grout and the floors, professionally or with your own elbow grease. At the end of the day, this will add tons of value to remove the appearance of dings, stains and smells.
6. Handles, doorknobs and pulls. Be sure everything matches throughout the home, it is ill advised to have oil rubbed bronze, brushed nickel and brass all in one home. If your kitchen door handles need to be refreshed, get out your screwdriver. The home needs to be cohesive by remember to respect the style of your home inside and out.
STOP: don't forget those after pictures!!!
Other tips (these are free):
Add a new doormat
Replace the kitchen faucet with an update one
Declutter the house - embrace minimalist life
Buy a new mailbox
Order pizza and invite the neighbors to a housewarming party
Leave your comments, photos, complaints, suggestions and more in the comments! Let us see what you did to make your home feel loved!
Now.... you've done the hard part - will you love it or list it?
© 2018 COREY MARIE BIRGER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED